Raleigh’s WakeMed campus had the 10th highest number of Emergency Room visits in 2020 nationwide, according to new statistics from NiceRX Health. WakeMed had 127,059 visits in total.
Across North Carolina, there were nearly 1.2 million ER visits over that one-year period, or around 1,122 visits per 10,000 residents.
As for reasons for an ER visit, maternal and neonatal conditions topped the list, followed by COVID-19, and mental health and substance-use disorders.
New York had the highest number of emergency room visits across the U.S. with over 1.9 million visits in 2019. The most frequented ER in the country is Parkland Health and Hospital System in Dallas, Texas, with 210,152 visits in 2020.
Rounding out the list of top 10 visited ERs in the nation are:
- Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center, Lakeland Florida
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln in New York City, New York
- Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia
- St. Joseph’s University Medical Center, Paterson, New Jersey
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas
- USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
- UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital, Aurora, Colorado
- Antelope Valley Hospital, Lancaster, California