Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
Carolina Journal seeks an experienced, energetic, and fearless professional committed to the First Amendment to be the face of and to guide the news organization’s award-winning print and digital assets. With a distribution of over 25,000 in monthly print and over two million digitally, Carolina Journal is the destination for North Carolina political news from a free-market perspective.
Carolina Journal is a pioneer in nonprofit journalism and has published thousands of articles on politics, education, health care, regulations, crime, taxes, and other issues since its founding in 1991. CJ is North Carolina’s best source for news, information, and stories readers don’t hear, read or see anywhere else. Our talented team promotes individual freedom by exposing barriers to it through truthful reporting of political, economic, and public policy news. Our opinion page provides perspectives on how politics and public policy affect residents, families, communities, institutions, and our state.
The editor-in-chief is the forward-thinking, outward-looking face of Carolina Journal. He or she works closely with the publisher to ensure adherence to the overall vision. This position directs the planning, production, and administration for all of CJ’s assets, including digital – website, email, social media, and the newly launched CJ TV – and the monthly print edition. The editor-in-chief leads the staff of editors, reporters, graphic designer, and contract writers.
· Manage the budget for the entire news organization.
· Recruit and manage A-team talent.
· Work with the Communications Team to develop and execute a strategic plan to promote CJ work.
· Develop and maintain relationships with other North Carolina news outlets to enhance CJ’s profile and increase our readership.
· Act as CJ’s media representative.
· Expand CJ’s owned audience.
· As a non-profit news organization, be a role model for the organization’s culture of philanthropy and instill that culture in all staff members.
· 12 monthly print issues
· Daily Carolina Journal email
· Multiple daily updates to the website
· Social media presence
· Updating the website including building out the dedicated opinion page
· Increase in year-over-year owned audience
· Increase in page views, length of sessions, and page sessions
· A consistent column, probably weekly
The Ideal Candidate:
· Is passionate about free markets and individual liberty
· Is a fearless defender of the First Amendment
· Thrives in a news environment
· Has a vision of news and how it will be consumed in the 21st century
· Is a calculated risk taker
· Seeks opportunities to add value to the organization
· Is familiar with North Carolina politics
· Is familiar with North Carolina media
· Is a strong leader with proven experience
· Is an excellent writer with examples
· Is an excellent editor with examples
· Can spot and nurture talent
· Can tell the story of freedom in words and pictures
· Is able to apply the strategy of the larger organization to CJ’s scope of work
· Isn’t afraid to embrace new technology(ies)
· Has seven to ten years of relevant experience
· Has a degree in journalism or a related field
Workplace and Compensation:
The editor-in-chief will be fortunate to be headquartered in our newly expanded Raleigh, North Carolina offices but will be expected to travel as needed to meet with other news organizations and supporters throughout the state.
This pivotal leadership position will be competitively compensated for North Carolina. Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental and vision coverage, along with an FSA and HSA, paid time off and holidays, life insurance and a robust retirement plan.
Interested parties should submit a resumé to [email protected]. If an interview is requested, you will be asked to provide a portfolio of your work including your ability to tell the story of freedom. This position is open until it is filled.